Tuesday, August 31, 2010

JeffCars.com: Riding On Six Years And Moving Forward

Jeff Fortson, editor of JeffCars.com, is standing next to a 2011 Buick Regal.

Its hard to believe six years have past since my website launched on the cyber highways on August 23, 2004. While I knew I didn't have a technical background nor the skill sets needed to create a website, I was surrounded by friends, family members and loved ones that had the tools and resources needed to help me fulfill my vision.

As some of you may know, my goal has always been to be the Tom Joyner of the auto industry. Joyner, one of the most popular and well-respected syndicated DJs in America, is also a philanthropist, who tirelessly gives back to HBCUs (Historically Black Colleges and Universities). I, too, want to follow Joyner's path by being the source that binds the minority population to the automotive industry, all while having fun and educating my people. Just like Joyner's roadshows, I will be utilizing my copyrighted educational car-buying clinic to help educate minority students (along with others) about the car-buying process.

Now, as the face of the population of America changes, I want to make sure this website is at the forefront of assisting the key marketing executives and advertising companies to see our community as trendsetters. We expect more than a high-profile entertainer or a catchy rhythmic song in a 30-second ad to sell us a vehicle. Not all of us are just that simple or vain.

Yes, we're a diverse group, who also wants to know about the ins and outs of the car-buying process, too. We want to know about the key minority designers who are steering today's car designs along with key minority leaders in the auto industry, driving new-vehicle sales in the midst of a recession. Yes, we just don't want to be taken for granted, if we're buying your vehicles.
-

I can recall at the time I started my website, I had no new-vehicle reviews nor a car-buying pricing guide, but still I considered my website, at the time, to be a full-fledged source of information for minority car buyers and for those wanting to learn more about the minority car-buying community.

Fortunately, many of you rode along with me even when you could have consulted some of the mainstream car-buying sites for more comprehensive data. However, as we all realize, we all have to start from somewhere. We see this occurring in the auto industry with a slow, but steady shift toward fuel-efficient non gasoline vehicles. It may take a few decades for the auto industry to get everyone on board, but there's no turning back now, because we can envision the future of the auto industry.

Jeff Fortson is enjoying a nice summer day in Acura's all-new 2010 ZDX.

Well, with me rolling into my sixth year, I am just on the cusp of expanding my brand. One way is via the use of the latest real-time social networking tools. Just recently, I joined Twitter. If you so choose, follow me at Twitter.com/JeffCars. No, I don't plan on telling you what time I had breakfast or who I met with for dinner - unless its automotive related. Conversely, I plan to use Twitter as a tool to keep you abreast of the latest happenings in the auto industry in hopes of helping to steer your next car-buying decision.

And besides Twittering, I'm in the throws of securing funding to launch a progressive educational automotive program in conjunction with public radio. This will allow me to connect with more folks hungry for car-buying information via archived online radio programs and podcasts, too. A few years ago I tried to get this radio project off the ground, but I failed miserably. I faced so many roadblocks and bumps along the way I literally felt worn-down like a flat tire. While I hated the process, I've learned from a number of mistakes I made. This time around I am hoping not to go down that wrong road again.

Like a battery, I am recharged. In fact, like a 4x4 truck I will roll over anything that gets in the way of accomplishing my dream. So, I am seeking your support and prayers as I journey toward my biggest challenge yet, securing funding to launch an automotive program targeted toward minorities.

In return for you staying with me through this growth process, soon I will be launching a place on my site for you to locate and sell a pre-owned vehicle. My  plans are to offer the service for free. Again, thanks for riding with me for six years and allowing me to turn my dream into reality. I hope that you're taking time to live your dream, too.

Jeff F. 
Editor/Industry Analyst



    1 comment:

    Anonymous said...

    Hey Jeff,
    You have all our support and prayers. We look forward to all the new changes growth and progress. Keep up the good work.

    Its Shop Time Mondays: Genesis Is Recalling 2022-23 Model Years GV70s, GV80s, G80s And G90s

      Loss of Drive Power from Fuel Pump Failure A loss of drive power can increase the risk of a crash. NHTSA Campaign Number:  24V282000 Manuf...