Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Hyundai Sonata's Black History Maker, Designer Andre Hudson (Part I of II)

Andre Hudson is posing with his baby, the 2011 Hyundai Sonata, which helped to put Hyundai on the map.


Andre Hudson, who formerly designed cars for General Motors, is making a name for himself in the industry at Hyundai Motor Company. Hudson, who has designed vehicles for the Korean automaker for the last four years, was the lead designer of the award-winning 2011 Hyundai Sonata. Like with Ralph Gilles, the lead designer of the limo-like Chrysler 300, and Earl Lucus, who helped to revive the current-generation Ford Taurus, he's making a name for himself outside of the world of auto designs.

If you've seen the redesigned Sonata, its a true head turner. The sexy four-door sedan, with the well-defined flowing lines, looks more like a Lexus than a Korean-designed vehicle. With the redesigned Hyundai Sonata, Hudson has been responsible for bringing swag-appeal to a brand once known for conservative, uneventful designs. As a result of the vehicle's new design, the Sonata has become one of the top fifteen best-selling vehicles in America, a first for the Korean automaker. In fact, according to Hyundai officials, the Sonata's retail sales volume grew by 113% last year, when compared to 2009, the greatest in the auto industry in 2010. With close to 200,000 Sonatas being sold in America last year, this family sedan was the major driving force in Hyundai hitting the 500,000 new-vehicle sales mark in 2010, another first for the automaker.

So to celebrate Black History Month, we wanted to place the spotlight on Hudson, the thirty-something year old whose causing folks to trade-in their Toyotas, Hondas, Nissans, Chevys and Fords for a Hyundai Sonata. Recently, we caught-up with the super-busy history maker, asking him several candid questions.  Check out part-one of our two-part interview with Hudson.


The elegantly designed Hyundai Sonata is ready for an evening out on the town

JeffCars: Andre, while receiving a secondary education, what steps did you take to pursue a career in the auto industry?
Andre Hudson: I always loved cars and planes. Initially, my career plan was to enter the Air Force (Academy) and train to become a fighter pilot. But, when my eyesight started to fail me in high school and my grades were falling short of the 4.0 needed to enter the Academy, I thought I’d pursue my other love, cars.

Growing up in Aurora, Colorado, a suburb of Denver, my high school counselors looked at me baffled, when I asked about preparing to become a car designer. So, after receiving a response from a letter I sent to Chrysler my sophomore year, I spent the next year-and-a-half preparing an art portfolio, which eventually qualified me to attend Detroit’s College of Creative Studies (CCS). (Both Gilles and Lucas studied at CCS.)

I had always taken art and loved it, so this (preparing the art portfolio) wasn’t too far reaching of a task.

JeffCars: Although you interned at Chrysler while attending CCS, how did you land your first job at GM?
Andre Hudson: One of the great advantages about attending CCS is the fact that it is in the heart of the American automotive industry (Detroit). My instructors were all currently working in the (auto) industry and of course, when it came time to graduate, 'The Big 3' (Chrysler, GM, Ford) were all within 20 miles of the school. Annually, 'The Big 3' would attend CCS’s Graduate Show to scout for new talent. Being apart of the graduating class of ’08, I was fortunate enough to be chosen as some of that new talent and hired into GM.

JeffCars: And, how was the experience of having Ed Welburn as your mentor (while working at GM)?
Andre Hudson: Ed (Welburn) was always there for me and took interest, as I hired in (to GM). I was fortunate enough to work under his guidance in the studio that he was design chief …. the 2000 Chevy SSR Concept. I have to admit that I was somewhat ignorant of Ed’s history (background) at GM Design and the amazing role he played, as one of the first (and few) African American automotive designers anywhere. I remember, looking back, he would take me to lunch just to check-in with how I was doing. At the time, I appreciated it. But looking back now, it was an amazing thing that he took so much interest in me and spent the time. I do thank him for that.

(Note: Ed Welburn is the first and only African American in the auto industry to oversee the designs for any major automaker. Every GM vehicle must have Welburn's blessings.)

JeffCars: Do you still stay connected with Ed Welburn today? And, what has he said about the success of the award-winning Lexus-like design of the Sonata (and the redesigned Elantra)?
Andre Hudson: I haven’t spoken with him directly about the Sonata, but I do like to think he is proud of what I’ve gone on to do.

JeffCars: Usually designers, particularly African American designers, remain working in Detroit throughout their career span, since there are so few in this field. What made you become a history maker and a pioneer, pursing an opportunity with Hyundai?
Andre Hudson: To be honest, it was really a difficult decision to leave the comfort of Detroit and Ed’s (Welburn) mentorship. But, the appeal of trying something totally new, learning entirely different processes and perspectives, was a big pull. I love learning about different cultures, understanding how different people attack the same challenges and …….not being limited by the Detroit vehicle development processes. Hyundai was the new player (in the industry) with lots of potential. I wanted to be a part of that and felt I had a better chance of making a bigger change out of Detroit than in it.
JeffCars.com: Indeed you have.

To continue reading the second-part of our candid interview, click here. Hudson discusses everything from his dream for little black boys and girls who doodle in school to how he's living Dr. King's dream to the Black History Maker he likens himself to.

7 comments:

used Hyundai Woodbury said...

This design of Hyundai is looking awesome. Now I'm waiting for the launching of upcoming Hyundai Sonata.

Anonymous said...

The sonata is awesome I love it. But everyone saying this is a victory for black Americans but the truth is its a victory for black and white americans because you can clearly see he is mixed, he is black and white. Don't fade the white out.

Anonymous said...

Let's not make this about the complexion. A victory has been acknowledged and many has gained. As we all know that the expectations of this particular success has to continue throughout his career. Can you imagine the pressure he is under?,and how he must challenge himself to create something more powerful and eye catching that will continue to sell. Give him a pat on the back for a job well done.

Louis said...

I like your's post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wished to say that I've truly enjoyed browsing your blog posts.
Visit my web here:xe tai van dongben 2 cho,
hyundai hd700 dong vang

James jones said...

I really love the theme on your web site, I run a website , and i would love to use this theme. Is it a free vogue, or is it custom? Windshield Replacement

James jones said...

Hello ! I??d choose to tkank for a great number of thought-provoking articles ! Used Mini Cooper Parts

Windshield Heroes said...

I got some valuable points through this blog. Safelite Windshield

Insurance Institute For Highway Safety Releases Latest Frontal Avoidance Crash Results On Compact SUVs/Crossovers (Video)

The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) just released its latest frontal avoidance crash results, using the latest safety driving ...