Friday, November 25, 2011

Editor's Note: Five Things I Am Thankful For This Year

As we take a moment this holiday season to slow things down and pump the brakes, I wanted to reflect upon the top five things I am truly thankful for this year.

  1. Attended the Black Enterprise Entrepreneur Conference And Expo. On the same day that Oprah wrapped-up her 25 year-old daytime talk show, I had an opportunity to witness history, attending a one-on-one personal conservation with Earl G. Graves Sr., the founder of Black Enterprise Magazine, and his son, Earl G. Graves Jr., president and CEO of the magazine. The intimate conversation, which revealed both their professional and personal lives, was led by President Obama's (and Michelle's) Harvard law professor, Charles Ogletree. I was just glad to be in the house to witness history. This is the first time that the Graves held a forum such as this. It was spell bounding to witness the respect interaction between a black father and his son. ( As a side note, I periodically provide auto content to the magazine.)
  2. First Published Car-Buying Feature Story In Essence Magazine. Earlier this year a good friend of mine, who happens to be a senior editor at Essence, gave me a once in the lifetime opportunity to write a feature story for the magazine. Unlike my other published articles, I wasn't required to quote other experts in the article. I was allowed to write the article from my point of view, sharing my own personal experiences and referencing my website. I guess this seals the deal and truly makes me an expert (LOL).
  3. Having the Opportunity to Review A New-Vehicle Weekly. In many ways, I still feel like a big kid. Every week I have an opportunity to review a different ride. I no longer have to depend upon the opinion of others in the industry regarding today's hottest (or not so hot) rides.
  4. Attended the American Black Film Festival in Miami. During the fourth of July holiday weekend, GM provided me a front row seat to the American Black Film Festival. Not only did I get a chance to have lunch with the founder of the festival, but to also hang out with some of the movers and shakers in the film industry, while at the same time getting a chance to kick-up my hills and chill on Miami's infamous South Beach. All I can say is what an experience. This once in a lifetime experience rated right up there with being a VIP guest of Toyota at last year's Soul Train Music Award where I was caught on tape dancing. I still marvel at the fact that I was in attendance for both events.
  5. Of Course, I Am Thankful for Family and Friends. Just a few months ago my independent mom, who is in her early seventies, had major eye surgery to restore her failing sight. I thought my aging parents were going to become dependent upon me for everything, since I am the youngest in the family for all of their errands plus more. Thank God due to the miracle of modern medicine she now has 20/20 vision and she no longer needs me (or my brothers) to take her to the store (or run other errands). She actually has her independence back again, allowing her the ability to tool around town in her Ford Mustang convertible. Since eye surgery, I think her vision is actually better than mine. And, I am extremely thankful for everyone who continues to use my website as a point of reference, before buying or servicing a vehicle. You just don't know how much I truly appreciate you.


No comments: