Sunday, January 13, 2008

Your Ethnicity May Determine What You Drive

For the third year in a row, Strategic Vision has found through its annual survey of one hundred thousand new car buyers in 2007, twenty-seven thousand of whom were minorities - Hispanics, African Americans and Asian Americans - typically have an affinity toward certain brands.

Strategic Vision found that Hispanics look for an enhanced sense of security. African Americans are more attracted to models that reflect the success in their lives and express their individuality. And Asian Americans showed stronger interest in balanced, complete vehicle performance and style to match their lives.

Hispanic car buyers ranked the Mercedes-Benz E-Class sedan the strongest model in the luxury segment, followed by Infiniti's G25, and the Kia Sedona minivan, Ford Expedition and Scion xB in the more affordable category.

African Americans were five times more likely to buy a Chrysler 300 sedan than other ethnic groups. According to the study, two percent of all vehicles sold in the U.S. to African Americans are Chrysler 300s. (Ralph Gilles, the lead designer of the 300, is featured in the photo above. To read a one-on-one interview I had with Gilles, click here.) African Americans are four times more likely to buy a Nissan Altima than other groups. This group also favors the Toyota Corolla, Nissan Sentra, Ford F-150, Toyota Camry, Honda Accord and Honda Civic.

The top three models purchased by Asian Americans last year were the Toyota Camry, Honda Civic and Toyota Corolla respectively. The research shows Asian Americans are rejecting Fords.

If you would like to view the entire 2007 study, click here. What are your thoughts about this study? Do you agree or disgree with this study?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess this answers the age old question why you rarely see Asians driving American cars. Is it because of loyalty to their country or their negative perception of American vehicles? However, in the Asian market, the Buick brand is very popular. This is defintely an interesting study. I do see a lot of brothers driving the 300s.

Anonymous said...

This is very interesting .I never would have thought like this..

Anonymous said...

As an Afro-American, I find that I have always looked to reliability and resale when purchasing a vehicle. From Mercedes, Volvo and Nissans, I have had an affair with all yet at this time in my life, status and who is driving what does not matter to me. I believe I have owned every American car there is aside from Chrysler. My choice of car has been a Toyota over the past several years... Corolla, Camry and now Pruis. As people begin to look at environmental issues as well as gas prices, they will look to Hybrids.

Anonymous said...

I think it has a lot to do with the marketing. The 300 was heavily marketed to African-Americans. I also think that we buy with image in mind more so than other minority groups.

Anonymous said...

Leave it to Jeff to let me know that I'm Asian, not African-American.

I don't care for the 300 (windows are too small) and I don't think the styling of a lot of American cars suits me personally. I drive a Honda Civic because I'm broke, but plan to purchase the more expensive models favor by my new brothers and sisters as my wallet gets fatter.

With that, I must bow and say adiosu, kajitsu, and kokubetsu.

Anonymous said...

I think that your findings are accurate when it comes to different ethnic groups,and their spending preferences. As a Black female, I see other Blacks buying what looks expensive and is expensive. Some of us will buy a luxurious mid-sized vehichle, when we really need a van!

Anonymous said...

I have a Nissan Altima. After I bought mine, 4 friends and my neighbor purchased one, too. My neighbor even bought the same color that I have.

Anonymous said...

This is very interesting! As African-Americans, are we purchasing way too many vehicles out of our price league, in comparison to Asian buyers you purchase modestly? Do we drive "large" and live "small" while others drive "small" and live "large"? We need to rethink how we do things!

Its Shop Time Mondays: Rear Door May Open While Driving On 2023-24 Model Years Toyota Prius

  Unlocked Rear Door May Open Unexpectedly A door that unexpectedly opens while the vehicle is moving or during a crash increases the risk o...